September 11, 2018

How I Spent my Summer (Un-)Vacation



This view!

It’s been a fabulously hot, busy exciting summer....full of first experiences as well as revisiting a couple of my favorites from last year. As much as I prefer not to leave Cape Ann during the summer, when an opportunity presents itself that is too good to pass up....well, I don't pass it up! I was lucky enough to be invited up to Haystack Mountain School of Craft in Deer Isle ME for a week to study with Holly Cooper, an amazing glassmaker from Austin TX - I couldn’t say yes fast enough. You will definitely see some of the techniques she taught us show up in my work at some point, as the ideas muddle around in my brain and start to form ...I loved some of what she taught us and can imagine several ways I may adapt some of the recipes. These are some of the beads I made experimenting with her techniques plus some earrings and a pendant....such fun!

Some of the samples I made during class
Haystack is one of those rare places that allows one to just focus on work; the only distractions are those you allow (or encourage) to creep in. The surroundings are stunningly beautiful and the week I was there was sunny and mostly hot, with uncommonly warm, clear ocean water to cool off and relax in. It was a week to rejuvenate, learn and spend time with old and new friends who share my passion for learning. It was a great experience and I highly recommend checking out their many options for classes!
The ocean water was in the 70's, almost unheard of for coastal New England!! We took full advantage....
Creativity can be found everywhere on campus....

More balancing rocks.....
Some of Lois Russell's baskets

Can you guess? (looking down into a textured vase made in the glass-blowing class!)


The day we were leaving, there seemed to be an unending parade of schooners out among the islands; this was the view from the top of the stairs as we were packing up the car to head home. Until next time.....

Full moon through the pine trees.....







No comments:

Post a Comment